Last week I showed you my Balsamic Baccala recipe I entered in the recipe contest for CFE International using Cristobal Salted Cod. I entered that recipe in the appetizer portion of the concert but still needed to create a main dish. After a few different ideas bounced around in my head I settled on making this Baccala Kani Sushi Bowl for the second entry.
I love sushi bowls and Buddha bowls for protein filled meals. They are always so fun to make, and this one was no different. I incorporated the baccala into my Kani salad recipe I often make for lunch, and spruced it up with avocado and sushi rice. Let me warn you sushi rice is stickier than regular rice so it may show up days later if you drop some and don’t get it all up. I know from experience.
As with my last recipe, make sure to thoroughly soak your saltfish to avoid sodium overload. All that should remain is the wonderful light cod flavor. I love Cristobal brand because you get nice sized fillets in a perfect sized portion for a meal. This recipe would easily serve 4-6 depending on how big of an appetite you have. I know we had this for dinner and then lunch the following day!
- 1 pound salted cod
- 1 avocado, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 mango, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into bite size pieces
- ½ pound imitation crab meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Soak salted cod 12-24 hours changing the water every 2-3 hours. Boil cod for 20 minutes in fresh water and drain. Shred by hand or with fork.
- Gently mix together cod, avocado, mango, cucumber, and imitation crab. Set aside.
- Place cooked sushi rice at bottom of bowl. Spoon the cod mixture around the rice. Drizzle all with soy sauce.
- Combine mayonnaise, sriracha, ginger, paprika, and sugar until fully blended. Drizzle mixture over the cod portion of the bowl.
- Top with panko bread crumbs and enjoy!