I love making homemade soup. It is surprisingly easy and ususally uses up scraps and leftovers laying around my kitchen. This time I took an old classic, Campbell’s Soup, and used it as a base for my recipe. Normally I don’t have tomato soup around the house. I will run out and buy it when we want it to go with grilled cheese. I had this jar on hand because it wasn’t just any ordinary jar of soup. Campbell’s recently celebrated their “founders day” by re-creating the 101-year-old recipe for the signature 1915 Beefsteak Tomato Soup created by then Campbell’s president, Dr. John Dorrance.
The original recipe was discovered in the Campbell archives (the company’s archivist is one of their points of pride and has been a valued resource over the years) and a group of passionate employees said – we have to make this. The team securing over 20,000 lbs of Jersey Beefsteak tomatoes from a local farm (with ties to Campbell) and created the soup at the plant in Camden, NJ… home of Campbell Soup for nearly 150 years.
The beefstock recipe has a lighter, sweeter flavor than the variety most now recognize as “Mmm Mmm Good”, and I prefer it this old fashioned way. The throwback recipe is only available for a limited time at Cracker Barrel stores in NJ/PA. If you think for one second that I have NOT stocked up for when the limited release ends, you would be wrong. I am not even a huge tomato soup fan and I love this soup. Note to Camobell’s make all soup in jars not cans.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- ½ red onion chiopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 jar Campbells Beefstock Tomato Soup
- ½ cup basil
- 2 Tbsp crushed garlic
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- 3 Tbsp oregano
- 1 cup water
- Cut chicken up into bite sized pieces and toss in vegetable oil along with chopped red onion. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and chicken is fully cooked. remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta acording to directions, boiling for appx. 8 minutes. Drain and pour into pan with chicken.
- Heat Campbell's soup in a large pot, adding in the spices one at a time and stirring constantly. Add in chicken, onions and pasta. Stir well.
- Continue heating soup over medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature. Add water to soup to reach desired consistency.