So last week I gave up drinking coffee. I thought it would be a great start on my journey back to being healthy. I did not give up caffeine; not only is it in basically everything but I am also not insane. I did drastically cut my caffeine intake down by switching to tea, and Teatulia Tea was awesome enough to help me on my tea drinking switch by sending my a selection of their herbal tea. Being who I am I of course decided to try to bake with some of the tea and made this Green Tea Biscotti, but I am also happily sipping on their Oolong Tea as I write this post. Instead of a few cups of coffee a day, I sip one large glass of tea all morning and am good!
Teatulia is fresh 100% organic tea straight from the single USDA-certified garden in Northern Bangladesh. Teatulia’s nearly 2000 acres are irrigated with rainwater and cultivated with organic cover crops and mulching. At their garden there is almost no tilling, weeding, etc. and their coop raises cattle for the manure to be used as fertilizer. Their Teatulia coop gives back to the community through its cattle rearing, safe hygiene distribution, distribution of herbal and medicinal plants, and adult literary education among others.
When I was thinking of what a good recipe would be to use tea leaves in, biscotti came to mind. I love my eggnog biscotti but egg nog isn’t really a year round flavor. I thought a nice cup of tea would go great with biscotti and decided to incorporate the tea into this snack. The crushed tea leaves infuse the biscotti with a hint of green tea flavor without being overpowering and ended up not only being a great breakfast treat but an after dinner treat as well.
- 5 tsp loose jasmine tea
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- loose tea from 2 Green Tea bags
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- mix together eggs, sugar and oil until fully combined
- add in flour, baking powder, salt and tea leaves.
- mix until tea leaves are even mixed into dough.
- spread dough onto a baking sheet to form a log about 10x5 inches and 1 inch thick. bake for 40 minutes.
- remove dough from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- slice biscotti into 1 inch slices and lay on a baking sheet, flat side down and bake for 10 minutes. turn over and bake for an additional 10 minutes. remove from oven and cool.