I first made this Mexican Pizza for Cinco de Mayo but it was such a hit I cannot only make it once a year! Topped with sour cream and homemade guacamole, this was a hit all the way around the dinner table. I of course left the tomatoes off the one I made for the middle child, lest he accuse me of trying to poison him, but the rest of us enjoyed the full deal. I will never run to Taco Bell because a Mexican Pizza craving hits again.
One of the things I love about this Mexican Pizza recipe (among many things) is that while it looks like a complicated process to make, it really isn’t. There was a bit of prep involved like making the homemade guacamole, chopping tomatoes and shredding the cheese, but otherwise this was a simple matter of layering ingredients, baking, layering more ingredients, baking and then eating. You can make the ground beef as spicy or as tame as you like; my middle doesn’t like spicy unless its a buffalo wing (I know odd one he is) so I kept the Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce on the side and poured it on top of my Mexican Pizza while done. If you do like spice then I would add 2 teaspoons of Sriracha to your meat as you make it.
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon black olives
- sour cream
- homemade guacamole
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet with the taco seasoning. Drain.
- Arrange 4 tortillas on a cookie sheet and spread a thin layer of refried beans over the tortillas followed by a layer of ground beef and then a thin layer of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and place remaining 4 tortillas on top of the bean/meat/cheese layers. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top along with tomatoes, green onions, chilies and olives. Return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with guacamole and sour cream, and enjoy!