One of the most common storage contraptions in my house is a plastic storage bin. We have them in the basement for toys, we have them in the bathroom for water bottles and heating pads, we have them in the bedroom for socks, we even have them in the kitchen for the boys’ play kitchen food and utensils. While there is nothing wrong with the boring look the drawers have when you buy them, It would be nice if I could make the match the room they are in. I was offered Poppie’s Paint Powder to review, and while messing around with my closet slash mudroom slash its a work in progress, I decided a great way to test out the Poppie’s Paint Powder would be in mudroom and for a plastic drawer makeover!
Poppie’s Paint Powder can be added to your favorite paint and easily mixed to get painted on furniture to give a nice, chalky look. Obviously I used it on walls and plastic, but it would also be perfect for painting thrift store finds like dressers and desks to give the thrifted furniture a newer, yet distressed look. The full size box of powder makes a quart of paint, so there is plenty to go around. I plan on painting the top to a desk in Keith’s room later this week with my leftover paint. I love that the powder is made from eco-friendly and sustainable materials, so I felt confident using it inside without fear of hurting the babies. It is nice not to have to lug everything outside to paint it!
I used the paint we had leftover from painting Keith’s room when we moved last year for the walls of the soon to be mudroom. In my dreams I will thrift the perfect cabinet/table/bench for storage and sitting to go in the closet but until then I am using a big bin for the shoes and a set of plastic drawers to hold the hats/gloves/scarves. I had enough paint to do not only the walls of the closet, but to paint the plastic bins to match as well.
I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the white plastic parts of the drawers, and removed the clear plastic bins. I took a sponge paint brush and did three applications of the paint to the clear bins, allowing about an hour dry time between each application. The last coat dried overnight, and in the morning I returned the drawers to their slots and labeled the individual bins. I could have left it for trial and error, but this is just easier and faster for in the mornings when Keith is getting ready for school.