I love this time of year in case you cannot tell from my tablecloth. I love the weather, the beginning of all the festive holidays, and the excuse to bake. While out shopping at Walmart I saw the OREO Glow-in-the-dark packages with 30 packs of cookies. I first thought that would be a neat snack idea for lunchboxes, then thought of how I could use a few OREO cookies to make cupcakes. That morning the boys had asked me to make an after school snack and Purple People Eater cupcakes would be cute and tasty.
You know, one eyed one horned flying purple people eater…. I was humming the song throughout the rest of the store, even grabbing some festive looking Fanta to go with the cupcakes I was planning to make. Look at the mummy on the cans! I grabbed the 8 pack of mini cans because while we aren’t huge soda drinkers, it is a nice treat on occasion. I was so busy humming and shopping I completely forgot to get something for the horn, so these are the Flying Purple People Eater’s hornless little cousin. Oops. I still think they came out super cute.
Once home I decided to put the leftover OREO cookies up for Halloween instead of using them for snack time. We usually do candy free treats, but the packs of 2 OREOs in glow in the dark bags is just begging to be used for trick or treating. The Fanta was enjoyed by my husband and I, as giving out soda for Halloween would just be odd to me. Each cupcake only takes one OREO for decoration if you open them carefully, so there are quite a few packs left over.
Evette Rios, host of the CBS show Recipe Rehab is creating custom, Walmart-exclusive recipes that combines both Fanta and OREO products. These recipe are hosted exclusively on the #SpookySnacks social hub. Be sure to check out more spooky snack ideas on the social hub. I’d love to hear your favorite!
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding mix (3.5 oz
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee dissolved in ½ cup warm water
- 2 stick soft butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- red and blue food dye
- 24 OREOs for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan w 24 liners.
- Mix the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla and instant coffee mixture until well combined.
- Put 2-3 Tbsp batter into each liner.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool 10 minutes the ntransfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Make frosting.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and beat until fluffy.
- Slowly add the milk until you reach desired consistency.
- Beat until fluffy again. Add food coloring until the desired purple is reached.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes about 2 inches high. Open one OREO keeping all the cream filling on one side. Draw an "eye" on the center with food coloring or an icing pen, and place on icing. Take second half of the OREO (sans cream) and split in hal. Place halves broken side down on either side of the "eye" as wings.