*I received a product to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own.*
Almond butter. MMMMM. Toddler2.0 and I could eat it off a spoon. I at least give him apple slices with his usually to give an illusion of not just eating the almond butter, but sure enough he just uses the apple slices to suck the almond butter off of. Our addiction has gotten worse since a friend introduced us to Barney Butter. Then I received a few samples of all the different flavors and ate them right from the packet. No, I did not share. I loved them all except the Bare Smooth Barney Butter, but that is no fault of anyone. I don’t like un-seasoned or sweetened nut butter. I am on the hunt for the cocoa and coconut in a larger container, it was my favorite.
I decided to combine my love of almond butter and the surplus of apples and make an almond butter apple pie. The crust is just a basic pie crust I made from water, sugar and butter. One day I will get around to typing it up. The apple pie has a few steps to it, but I promise it is worth it in the end. The Barney Butter I used to make the pie was the regular smooth variety, but you could use any of their flavors for a subtle bit of added flavor. The crumble is what really makes the pie pop. I have perfected my crumble recipe as a way to avoid having to use regular crust on top of pies. I try and I try but every time something goes off and the top crust doesn’t work out. Crumble is yummy and looks good, so why fight it?
- 4 medium apples (peeled, cored, chopped)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup and 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup smooth almond butter
- ¾ cup steel cut oats
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, mix together the ½ cup brown sugar, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Add apples and toss.
- Pour the apple mix into a pie plate (with uncooked crust) and flatten apple layer. Place pie plate in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a different bowl, microwave he butter and the almond butter for 45 seconds. Stir to combine.
- Add the rest of the brown sugar, flour, and oats to the almond butter mix. stir until all the oats are coated and clumpy.
- Pour the crumble over the apple layer in the pie dish, and bake for 45 minutes.