A few weeks ago, I told you about the Wonder Pot I had just gotten and promised a cake recipe soon to follow. I did make this Wonder Pot Cake the same day I made the Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Soup but did not get a chance to post the results and recipe. Alright, in full disclosure I may have had a chance but binged all 7 seasons of Shameless instead. Does anyone else watch that show? I am so in love with it and not so patiently waiting for the next season to come out. Now that I know what the Gallaghers have been up to for the past 7 seasons I can carry on and catch up on posting all the recipes I have scribbled down and photographed.
I was highly nervous about making a Wonder Pot Cake. Weeks later I am nervous making anything aside from soups and stews in the Wonder Pot. This is probably how people felt when slow cookers first came on the market. It is just new to me. I will say the instruction manual said the cake would be done in 50 minutes and that was a lie (in my Maury Povich voice). Cooking the Wonder Pot Cake actually took more like 75 minutes. This is where the good and bad comes in. If I am making a regular cake I will revert to the old fashioned oven way. If I am making a layer cake, I will be using the Wonder Pot.
Look how perfectly even this cake came out. Aside from being perfectly even, the edges are smooth and extremely easy to put icing on. I didn’t need to freeze, or do a base icing and freeze to prevent crumbs. That was exciting but again, 75 minutes for a cake? Only if I want perfectly even layers. The cake itself was delicious, even if it was a box mix. I normally do my cakes from scratch, but the recipe in the instructions used box mix. I made sure to add some spices for flavor, but basically took their recipe and attempted to improve it a bit.
- 1 box cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- Using a mixer combine all ingredients on high for 3 minutes.
- Spray Wonder Pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour the cake mix into the Wonder Pot and select the "bake" function before closing the lid.
- The clock will run out after 50 minutes, but once the timer runs out press the "bake" button again and cook an additional 25 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, invert the cake onto a cake stand.
- Once cake cools, cover with icing of your choice, and enjoy!